“We’re our own dragons as well as our own heroes, and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.”
It’s a simple, slow breathing technique that quiets the mind in a way that makes it easier to feel connected to your body, which then allows suppressed emotions (all of them, not just the uncomfortable ones) come to the surface.
WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT MEAN?
You get a chance to process many of the tougher emotions – sadness, shame, anxiety, grief, all the biggies – that you’ve been suppressing (consciously and unconsciously) throughout your life and feel less burdened, which can result in a palpable sense of peace, relaxation, and relief.
THAT SOUNDS INTENSE. HOW WILL THIS HELP ME?
Great question. Through breathwork, people often have revelations about toxic or unhealthy behaviors they engage in. They can find forgiveness for those that have wronged them; identify thought patterns that simply don’t serve them; work through complicated life choices; feel more intense love for others and themselves – the list goes on. The breathwork experience is different for each person, but ultimately clients get a chance to look at themselves through a new lens without self-judgment or spirally thoughts getting in the way.
CAN ANYONE DO IT?
The beauty of breathwork is that you don’t require any experience to participate, nor have any specific tools to use it. All you need is a functioning pair of lungs and a willingness to try something out of the box. Results are immediate, and the work speaks for itself.
THIS SOUNDS A LITTLE WOO-WOO
I like to think of breathwork is an accessible, easy act with a dash of “woo” for good measure. There’s a lot of important research coming out identifying how breathwork can facilitate the resolution of trauma and show how conscious breathing can positively impact your health. Breathwork is all about getting the nervous system back into normal regulation, so you don’t have to suffer with crippling anxiety, depression, or PTSD. To those of you seeking something more spiritual, breathwork can become a catalyst for a deeper connection to something larger than yourself, essentially a reminder that we are all connected in this world some way. That reminder, however that manifests for you in your daily life, helps inspire us to be better humans.
SUM IT UP FOR ME
Breathwork is an active meditation that provides almost instant relief from anxiety while leaving you in a state of deep relaxion and clarity. Breath is life. By tuning into your own life force (breath), you can produce dramatic results. I help people clear out the emotional and physical detritus that keeps you stuck in unhealthy patterns, reliving various traumas, and engaging in toxic behaviors, and often after just one session, my clients experience an emotional release and are better able to feel compassion for themselves and others. Some might even call it euphoria. It’s almost bizarre how quickly a breathing session can help a person change.
Choose breathwork if:
- You love – NEED, even – instant gratification.
- You need to see results fast.
- You’re a skeptic and don’t believe in woo-woo spiritual nonsense.
- You suffer from depression, anxiety, or other mental illness.
- You carry unresolved trauma, grief, or hopelessness that you would like to heal.
- You engage in unhealthy behaviors, such as addiction, compulsive eating, or self-sabotage, and would like to stop.
- You feel stuck in life and aren’t moving forward with your dreams and passions.
- You can’t figure out why you’re still single, still stuck in the same old job, still not achieving your greatest potential. This includes consistently seeking emotionally unavailable partners, working at a job you hate, procrastinating finishing that book or screenplay, and withering inside of your comfort zone.
- You haven’t felt sustainable joy since you were a child.
- Things are fine, but you feel like something is missing.
- Existential crises like whoa.
- You’re trying to create a more fulfilling life.
- You’re ready.